parasite

Ive been hiv and healthy for yrs but 6 months ago i got a parasite (giardia) and it wont go away.. ive been on medicationfor it but they cant seem to kill it. Obviously i cant take my HIV meds due to my sensitive stomach and im starting to get worried. the drs dont seem to be, they just keep writing me another prescription. would u happen to have any advice? Im at wits end

rob

Hi Rob,

You've been off your HIV meds for six months due to Giardia and you ask if I have any advice? Yep, I certainly do. I'd suggest you find a more competent HIV specialist! Six months is way too long to be dealing with this problem (and dangerously long to be off your antiretrovirals!). If an HIV specialist can't resolve the Giardia/sensitive-stomach problem, he'll refer you to an infectious disease specialist and/or gastroenterologist.

sex with hiv+
PEP Treatment HELP? (PROPER CONDOM USE, 2009) (PEP AND THE NEED FOR HIV SPECIALIST, 2009)