Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

sex with hiv+
Feb 20, 2009

Hi Dr. Bob. I've been reading a lot of your panswers and all I can say is ....

YOU ARE AMAZING!!!

Best sense of humor with the best sense and knowledge. Really.

Now my question: I had sex with a HIV+ guy a month ago (I didn't know when we did it). Me as the bottom, we used condom, didn't break. We used only my saliva as a lubricant for 5 times... but once he used his saliva. Could I have been infected by saliva entering my anus? I know the risk of fluids in the anus is the riskiest (even more than needles!). Should I be worried as I am? Should I test? I had no symptoms, only 2 swollen "shotty" small glands in the neck and 1 submandibular last week...

Thank you!

Mr. Terry

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Mr. Terry,

Why are you freaking out now just because you happened to find out after the fact that one of your top guns was virally enhanced? If you hadn't found out about his HIV status, would you be at any less risk? No, of course not. And that's the point! We must consider all our sex-mates could be HIV positive and take all the necessary precautions to prevent HIV transmission. Remember, 25% of HIV-positive Americans have absolutely no idea they are infected!

You did use a condom and it did not break. BRAVO! Your concerns about saliva are unwarranted. Salvia that does not contain visible blood is not considered to be an HIV-transmission risk. If you remain worried, get an HIV-antibody test at the three-month mark. The results will undoubtedly be negative.

Also, I should mention your HIV-risk statistics are not accurate. Needle-sharing injection-drug use with a poz partner is riskier than unprotected receptive anal sex with a poz top gun.

Dr. Bob

Previous
possible exposure to hiv
Next
parasite

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.