sex with hiv+

Hi Dr. Bob. I've been reading a lot of your panswers and all I can say is ....

YOU ARE AMAZING!!!

Best sense of humor with the best sense and knowledge. Really.

Now my question: I had sex with a HIV+ guy a month ago (I didn't know when we did it). Me as the bottom, we used condom, didn't break. We used only my saliva as a lubricant for 5 times... but once he used his saliva. Could I have been infected by saliva entering my anus? I know the risk of fluids in the anus is the riskiest (even more than needles!). Should I be worried as I am? Should I test? I had no symptoms, only 2 swollen "shotty" small glands in the neck and 1 submandibular last week...

Thank you!

Mr. Terry

Hello Mr. Terry,

Why are you freaking out now just because you happened to find out after the fact that one of your top guns was virally enhanced? If you hadn't found out about his HIV status, would you be at any less risk? No, of course not. And that's the point! We must consider all our sex-mates could be HIV positive and take all the necessary precautions to prevent HIV transmission. Remember, 25% of HIV-positive Americans have absolutely no idea they are infected!

You did use a condom and it did not break. BRAVO! Your concerns about saliva are unwarranted. Salvia that does not contain visible blood is not considered to be an HIV-transmission risk. If you remain worried, get an HIV-antibody test at the three-month mark. The results will undoubtedly be negative.

Also, I should mention your HIV-risk statistics are not accurate. Needle-sharing injection-drug use with a poz partner is riskier than unprotected receptive anal sex with a poz top gun.

possible exposure to hiv
parasite