possible exposure to hiv

Dear Dr. Bob,

4 months ago I had unsafe vaginal intercourse with a prostitute in Singapore. How stupid of me, I know! The day after I was really freaking out, and started browsing the internet for info on hiv and std's.

About 2 weeks later I didn't feel very well, sore throat and light fevers. Never more than 37,5C. I also had 3 to 4 night with nightsweats. I never developped rash and there was no swelling of lymph nodes. At that time I was really convinced that I had ARS.

I got tested at 1, 3, 7, 10, 12 and 14 weeks for hiv and std's. The 3 - 7 - 14 week test were combined HIV Ab/Ag. All tests came back negative.

Do you consider those negative tests as conclusive.

I am still afraid that I would be one of the rare cases who will test positive later than 3 months after exposure.

I really appreciate the good work you are doing for every worried person on this site. Please let me know how I can make a donation.

Merci beaucoup Dr Bob.

Best regards

Your repeatedly negative HIV and STD tests out to week 14 are definitive and conclusive. HIV, and the STDs you tested for, are not your problem. No way. No how. No further testing is warranted.

Donation information for the Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation can be found on the foundation's Web site at

Il n'y a pas de quoi. A bientôt !

How to inform
sex with hiv+