In Dr. Bob's professional opinion...

Hey Dr. Bob! I hope you can help put my mind to ease. It's a bit of an embarrassing story, and I'll try and clean it up whilst keeping the important details.

Last October, I hooked up with a guy I met on the internet for sex (I'm also a male). He performed fellatio and analingus on me, I did not on him. While he was licking me though, I felt a sting, as his tongue touched an open wound in my crotch (from aggressive wiping. Also, I showered as soon as I got home, and I noticed some scuff marks near the head of my penis from his teeth.

Exactly 40 days after the act, I just became so nervous about it all that I went down to county health center for a rapid test (which was an awful experience, snotty workers, no respect), which came back negative.

I have been up and down the internet searching for my risk factors and have seen everything there is to know about hiv and oral sex, and I know that my risk is exteremely low. I don't know why I can't get over this. I never got any symptoms of ARS, I'm 26, I work out, I'm healthy. I just wish I had been smarter about everything. I'm rambling now...

In Dr. Bob's professional opinion, is my anxiety just out of control? Do I need another test?

Thank you for all the work you do, the compassion you show, and all the lives you touch.

You are correct: Your HIV-acquisition risk is "extremely low."

Your negative HIV test at 40 days is encouraging, but not definitive. You'll need to retest at the three-month mark for a conclusive test. The odds are all in your favor that you did not contract HIV from this oral sexperience. My best advice (along with the three-month test) is to find a buddy who knows how to give a decent blowjob. Teeth marks on Mr. Happy's head? OUCHAMAGOUCHA.

Good luck. Be well.

Concerned about Mrsa
I Like Dr. Bob