Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

In Dr. Bob's professional opinion...
Feb 18, 2009

Hey Dr. Bob! I hope you can help put my mind to ease. It's a bit of an embarrassing story, and I'll try and clean it up whilst keeping the important details.

Last October, I hooked up with a guy I met on the internet for sex (I'm also a male). He performed fellatio and analingus on me, I did not on him. While he was licking me though, I felt a sting, as his tongue touched an open wound in my crotch (from aggressive wiping. Also, I showered as soon as I got home, and I noticed some scuff marks near the head of my penis from his teeth.

Exactly 40 days after the act, I just became so nervous about it all that I went down to county health center for a rapid test (which was an awful experience, snotty workers, no respect), which came back negative.

I have been up and down the internet searching for my risk factors and have seen everything there is to know about hiv and oral sex, and I know that my risk is exteremely low. I don't know why I can't get over this. I never got any symptoms of ARS, I'm 26, I work out, I'm healthy. I just wish I had been smarter about everything. I'm rambling now...

In Dr. Bob's professional opinion, is my anxiety just out of control? Do I need another test?

Thank you for all the work you do, the compassion you show, and all the lives you touch.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

You are correct: Your HIV-acquisition risk is "extremely low."

Your negative HIV test at 40 days is encouraging, but not definitive. You'll need to retest at the three-month mark for a conclusive test. The odds are all in your favor that you did not contract HIV from this oral sexperience. My best advice (along with the three-month test) is to find a buddy who knows how to give a decent blowjob. Teeth marks on Mr. Happy's head? OUCHAMAGOUCHA.

Good luck. Be well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Concerned about Mrsa
Next
I Like Dr. Bob

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.