Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Symptomatic HIV infection??
Apr 23, 2001

I am confused, according to Rick Sodowsky's timeline there are two times for symptoms to appear.. ARS and then when the HIV virus becomes AIDS. The time periods between the two is on the average 10 years, correct?? So is it UNUSUAL for a female 9 to 14 months after possible exposure to have a yeast infection that will not be cured by over the counter medication. 10 months to have two flu like attacks ( just vomiting and diarrhea) and 14 months after to have a sore back/neck, sore throat and swollen lymph nodes??? I know that is POSSIBLE.. I would like to know if this is HIV causing these symptoms is it UNUSUAL??? I truly beg of you to answer, I'm very nervous.

Response from Mr. Kull

The symptoms you are describing are not necessarily unusual for any person to experience. The symptoms you describe, looked at in isolation, could be matched up with symptoms people experience when HIV infected, but could also be matched up with people who experience colds, flu, and yeast infections. The course of symptoms you describe are not TYPICAL for HIV infection (as based on Rick's timeline).

It is impossible to diagnose a person's HIV status based only on commonly experienced symptoms. In the absence of a risk history and an HIV antibody test, you will have a great deal of difficulty (and anxiety) determining your HIV status.

RMK

Previous
Oral test?
Next
Pregnant, anxiety, Im very scared!! HIV???

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.