Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV Symptoms please help me
Feb 17, 2009

Dr. Bob,

please help me. i am so scared. please sir reply my question. I did unprotected sex with a girl whom i dont know. She has so many partners i know that. after 2-3 weeks of incident i had night sweets, loosing weight, sore throat, now swollen glands also. I think i am in trouble. I did test after 7 weeks of exposure it comes negative. I will redo my test after 10 weeks. what u think sir i have this virus. I am not eating, crying all day, not going anywhere just sitting on computer and taking the information of HIV.

I will promise you to donate $50.

Please reply sir you are my only hope...

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Your situation is similar to many others (check the archives!), so I'll be brief, OK?

1. Unprotected sex does place you at some degree of risk for STDs, including HIV.

2. Symptoms are notoriously unreliable in predicting who is and is not HIV infected.

3. HIV-antibody tests taken prior to the three-month mark are not considered to be definitive or conclusive.

4. Your negative HIV test at seven weeks is extremely encouraging, as the vast majority of HIV-positive folks will have detectable levels of anti-HIV antibodies in their blood within four to six weeks following primary infection.

5. Remember to always use latex (or polyurethane) condoms for penetrative sex to avoid ever having to go through this anxious period again, OK?

6. Thank you for your donation to the Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). In return I'm sending you my good-luck karma that your definitive three-month HIV test remains negative.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
CONFUSED ABOUT YOUR ARTICLE (DEFINITION HIV VS AIDS 2009)
Next
Shingles Starting Treatment & Queen Issues (SHINGLES AND HIV, 2009) (WHEN TO START ANTIRETROVIRAL TREATMENT, 2009)

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.