Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Hiv Testing + Sobril (Oxazepam)
Feb 15, 2009

Dear Dr. Bob,

You do not know it, but you have actually saved my mind... Spending the last few weeks reading all the questions and answers on this site, have made me go from believing for sure that I was hiv positive to understanding that there is a 1 in a 10000 chance that I might be hiv positive. Thank you! Thank you from changing a misinformed mind to a informed and more wise mind.

To all of you who are reading this - search before you ask! The answers are probably there already.

Still, I do have one question that I can not find an answer to. I have - to be sure that I am negative and that all is ok - to take a hiv test. Now, for most people that is no problem. But not so for me. I am scared of doctors and dentists... (silly, I know, and most of the time it goes ok when I visit them) ... and taking an hiv test will be very traumatic, even though it most likely will be fine. But I am so scared to go into that office, and take that test; the mere thought of it makes me shake with fear. So, the thought have occured to self-medicate before taking the test. I do not drink alcohol (I remember reading somewhere on this site that Jgermeister have no effect on the results...)... and the only other option I have is to take 20 mg of Sobril (Oxazepam)to calm me down enough to go through the test. (I use Sobril when I go to the dentist, and I have some left over after some root canal work... ouch.)

And so, my question is: Will taking 20 mg of Sobril influence the test results in any way? Please please answer, as this is the only way I can get through this test. (I called the lab that will do the test, and the girl there said um and um and did not really know, I also called another place that do hiv tests, and they could not give a definitive answer... I live in Norway).

So please answer Dr. Bob. Can I take 20 mg Sobril before taking an hiv test without it influencing my test?

Kind regards from cold Norway, G.D.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Norski G.D.

Sobril (oxazepam) will not affect HIV test results. So chow down on some lutefisk and lefse with a Sobril chaser and then go get tested!

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Zoonosis
Next
hiv/non hodkins lymphoma

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.