Another Lost Condom--Response--Follow-Up

2-13-09

Hi, Dr. Frascino--

Just a quick follow-up to our conversation about PEP back in January 2007 ("Another Lost Condom" and "Another Lost Condom--Response"). I wanted to direct your attention to a new article detailing how difficult it is to get PEP treatment in Los Angeles. The article is in the February 12-18, 2009, issue of LA CITYBEAT (www.lacitybeat.com/cms/story/detail/the_hiv_morning_after_pill/8007/). Luckily, I didn't have to get PEP treatment and have remained HIV negative to this date. Thanks as always for the help you provide the public.

Actually I know many private physicians, HIV specialists, urgent care center doctors and emergency room physicians in LA who readily prescribe PEP when indicated. The article you reference is anecdotal. Dr. Hardy at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center (CSMC) is the only physician interviewed in the article and he states the emergency department at CSMC dispenses a three-day "starter pack" of PEP. This allows the PEPer to then contact an HIV specialist who will then more completely evaluate the need for PEP. He will optimize the regimen and continue it for a full 28-day course if indicated. The important point for folks to realize is that PEP is not a morning-after pill! It's only recommended and prescribed for significant HIV exposures, not just because someone freaks out the day after getting a drunken blowjob.

By the way, PEP has been readily available at the Frascino Medical Group and multiple other sites around the San Francisco Bay Area for a number of years.

Another major symptoms showup in weeks 12. freaking out. Afraid to get tested.
is pep recomende?!? donation on the way