HIV & TB

Hello Dr....

hey doc, I know you're a busy man, could you please answer my ?, and thank God the world has got someone like you, you're truly remarkable and dedicated.

I read from one on your responses were you state that HIV is declared aids once your immune systems deteriorates to a certain CD 4 count ((CD4 count of 200 or CD4% of 14%) or when an HIV positive person acquires opportunistic infections or malignancies, my fiancée is HIV positive diagnosed in 2002, he contracted TB in 2005 his CD 4 count was 500 at the time of the diagnosis, is it normal that someone with HIV and TB can have such a high CD4 count, secondly does he have aids because he developed an opportunistic infection even though his CD 4 count was still normal.

Anonymous South Africa

Hello Anonymous,

Yes, your fiancé now has AIDS. Any HIV-positive person who acquires TB qualifies for the AIDS diagnosis, no matter what the CD4 count may be. This is similar to Kaposi's sarcoma, which also can occur at high CD4 counts but still qualifies the person for an AIDS diagnosis.

Viral Load is decreasing
To my favorite Doctor Bob... Mommy of 3