Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Help me Rhonda!!
Feb 14, 2009

I mean Bob. Dear Bob, It's that pesky med student again. Can I ask one more question?

I had a high risk exposure December 12. Partner's status unknown, but very high risk behaviour. I didn't mention in my last post that I had take a 28 day course of Combivir (I'm not sure why, but this is all they would give me). My symptoms started a few days to a week after my last dose.

I've had no rash but low grade fevers, night sweats, generalized lymphadenopathy (and I do know where lymph nodes are, etc), and no sore throat. Some fatigue but it hasn't been extreme. Myalgia, and fairly severe tingling in the my arms, sometimes torso as well, which started a week or two after the other symptoms.

I'm really terrified. I haven't been able to to think about anything else since these symptoms started 5 weeks ago.

Here's my question: I had a negative rapid test yesterday (8.5 weeks, 5 weeks after onset of symptoms).

I haven't been able to get a PCR at any of the places I have visited. Should I just keep waiting for 13 weeks and then 6 months, or should I fight to get a PCR (and risk confidentiality breaks since my PCP also teaches at my university).

Any advice would be so welcome.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

My advice to medical students (who may or may not be able to identify normal from abnormal lymph nodes, even if they know where they are!) is exactly the same as it is to non-medical students. If you've had a high-risk exposure and taken a course of PEP you should get post-PEP HIV antibody testing at six weeks, three months and six months after the date of exposure. HIV PCR RNA or HIV PCR DNA is not recommended for routine HIV testing for a variety of reasons that you can read about in the archives. Finally, I'm assigning you, as a medical student, some homework! Download and read the entire Department of Health and Human Services/CDC guidelines for use of PEP in sexual and injecting-drug-use exposures. The information will come in handy during your medical career and will also address any other issues you may be worrying about concerning to your current situation. While you're at it you should also download and read the guidelines for occupational exposures as well. Be prepared for a pop quiz next time you write in.

nPEP: www.cdc.gov/mmwr/PDF/rr/rr5402.pdf (Antiretroviral Postexposure Prophylaxis After Sexual, Injection-Drug Use, or Other Nonoccupational Exposure to HIV in the United States Recommendations from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services)

PEP: http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/rr5409a1.htm (Updated U.S. Public Health Service Guidelines for the Management of Occupational Exposures to HIV and Recommendations for Postexposure Prophylaxis)

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Was Reassured By Response/Now More Frightened Than Ever
Next
Newbie Magnetic

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.