Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

worried and pregnant now proud mama
Feb 14, 2009

Let me start by sayin thanku this site was like a sanctuary To me when I was going through my issues and still is u answered my questions and u were even working on thanks giving dam doc. while the doctors who took care of my husband looked me in my pregnant face would not even tell I had been exposed by my husband not even he woulld tell only because I'm a nurse and recognized a pill they gave I found out. I do thanku from all of my heart I did as u told me at the time I was 32 weeks pregnant and was 72 day post exposure I took a elisa =neg at 79 day. Took rna and elisa 4 hiv1 and 2= neg and then again a week before my c section I took another elisa = neg. Which was 120 days post exposure. they told me the baby needed no treatment but they also said I should not breast feed I am concearned that I should get him tested but when I gave the pediatrician the hospital papers that they wrote on that"dads hiv + and moms - The doctor didn't ask or say one word about it I wouldn't want my baby to become sick on the account of no treatment please give ur advice I greatly appreaciate it. God will keep on blessing u over and over again

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Welcome back to the forum. Excellent news that your HIV ELISA tests have continued to remain negative out to 120 days and your HIV RNA PCR viral load test is undetectable. At this point the chances that your baby is HIV infected are essentially nonexistent. I would recommend that you get one additional HIV-antibody test at the six-month mark. If you remain negative, I see no reason why you shouldn't be able to breast feed at that time. (You can use a breast pump until then.) The chances of you remaining HIV negative are astronomically in your favor. Congratulations on your new addition!

Dr. Bob

Previous
"Difficult...not impossible" ..Rocco from The Godfather
Next
Was Reassured By Response/Now More Frightened Than Ever

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.