"Difficult...not impossible" ..Rocco from The Godfather

Hello Doc, Godfather quotes are to Dr. Frascino like the Bat-signal is to Batman. Please help me with your best Karma and answers to the following: I fingered a girl for hire - unfortunately I bite my nails and had a couple of cuts. They were not actively bleeding but were kind of fresh as in an hour old. As I later realized my stupidity & I washed my hands with purell. Would my approximate risk be that of insertive vaginal intercourse? I asked the girl about her status and she said she was neg Jan 2008 and only had one instance of condom break since. Follow my math :) Her odds of being infected from the one instance 300/500 to 1. My fingering with a fresh cuticle cut 1000 to 1. So 300x1000= 100000 to one chance I am infected?? Could you please estimate my risk roughly. I know you haven't seen the cut but approx one hour from bleeding cuticle abrasion. This happened Tuesday night at 7pm est. Should I be evaluated for pep? The clock is ticking Batman. I will donate (as part of my ocd) as I always do when I hit your site. Thank You!!

The estimated statistical risk figures you mention are for evaluating the relative risk of a specific activity for a large population. They cannot be applied to an isolated specific event. So your math is faulty or at least "fuzzy." I would place your HIV-acquisition risk in the negligible category at best. PEP is absolutely not warranted. If you're worried get a single HIV test at the three-month mark. The results will undoubtedly be negative, but if it helps you to put your residual worries permanently to rest it may be worth the time and effort psychologically. Thanks for your tax-deductible donation to the Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). It's warmly appreciated. My only other piece of medical advice is to stop biting your nails. Get a manicure instead.

Be well. Stay well.

"Leave the worries. Take the cannoli."

Please answer me
worried and pregnant now proud mama