HELP! Counselor didn't do my HIV test right!

Dr. Bob,

I don't know if you're an expert in rapid testing but I thought I'd ask your opinion anyway. So I took one of those finger prick oraquick rapid tests yesterday and it came back negative. However when I got home I looked up the instructions on how to give the test and the counselor that took care of me skipped a step. The instructions say that after you prick a person's finger, you should wipe the FIRST drop of blood on the finger away and THEN squeeze the finger to collect the sample. I know this sounds like OCD but do you think the fact that the counselor skipped this step may have affected the accuracy of my test? He did wipe my finger with disinfectant before he pricked my finger. He just didn't do it after. It was torture waiting 6 months and now I'm scared that I'm going to have to test again. Should I be worried? Please respond!

I wouldn't worry. Although I agree appropriate protocol should be followed when performing any test, this particular oversight would not affect the validity of your negative test result. If my reassurance isn't enough to calm your concerns, you could get retested. Whether you do or not, it would be a good idea to point out the proper testing technique to the counselor who performed your test.

woooohooo wooohoooo and thanks!!
Devasted my child tested positive