Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HELP! Counselor didn't do my HIV test right!
Feb 11, 2009

Dr. Bob,

I don't know if you're an expert in rapid testing but I thought I'd ask your opinion anyway. So I took one of those finger prick oraquick rapid tests yesterday and it came back negative. However when I got home I looked up the instructions on how to give the test and the counselor that took care of me skipped a step. The instructions say that after you prick a person's finger, you should wipe the FIRST drop of blood on the finger away and THEN squeeze the finger to collect the sample. I know this sounds like OCD but do you think the fact that the counselor skipped this step may have affected the accuracy of my test? He did wipe my finger with disinfectant before he pricked my finger. He just didn't do it after. It was torture waiting 6 months and now I'm scared that I'm going to have to test again. Should I be worried? Please respond!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

I wouldn't worry. Although I agree appropriate protocol should be followed when performing any test, this particular oversight would not affect the validity of your negative test result. If my reassurance isn't enough to calm your concerns, you could get retested. Whether you do or not, it would be a good idea to point out the proper testing technique to the counselor who performed your test.

Dr. Bob

Previous
woooohooo wooohoooo and thanks!!
Next
Devasted my child tested positive

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.