Teacher needs teaching

I am a first grade teacher. One of my students has an uncle that is HIV+. He came to bring her lunch and I told him to stay and he can eat with her...he had bought food for himself as well as me. While he was eating, we were both talking and I accidentally spit as he was eating and I saw a piece of his food fly out. If anything got in my eye, would there be a risk. I don't remember if I noticed anything hitting my eye. I didn't worry until like an hour after. So I wasn't paying atttention when it happened. He was about 3 feet away from me at the time. I forgot to ask if there was blood in the saliva when the person spit and food flew out and got in my eye, if that would be a realistic amount of blood getting in the eye to infect? I was 2-3 feet away, so would the saliva have inactivated it AND would there even be enough and efficient blood to infect?

I didn't noticed blood sprayed on my face or anything, but "what if"

Donation on it's way hun!!

I will donate $50, I would love to donate more, but I'm on teachers pay :/

Also, knowing he has HIV would this be o.k if he eats lunch with the kids too? What if when he was eating and he accidentally spit and some food and spit came out, and a child got it in their eye? There were kids all around him.

Please help! I love my kids, and wouldn't want to put them in harm. The man is so nice, and I DO NOT want to judge or discriminate.

Thanks in advance! Next pay check I will donate a bit more. Hugs and Kisses~

Hello Teacher,

HIV is not transmitted by casual contact. Period. That includes eating lunch. Your concerns about HIV infection from spittle are unwarranted. Saliva that does not contain visible blood is not considered an HIV risk. Even if the poz uncle had some blood in his saliva, the chance of HIV transmission from spittle while eating getting into your eye (or the kids' eyes) and causing HIV is so extremely remote it's essentially nonexistent. You and the kids would have a greater risk of being squashed to death by a falling meteorite than contracting HIV from this loveable uncle! Take a read through the archives of this forum. We have an entire chapter on nonsexual HIV transmission that you should find enlightening and reassuring. Since you do not want to judge or discriminate against the nice man, I certainly hope you won't! There certainly is absolutely no medical reason to do so!

Thanks for your donation to the Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org).

Be well.

TEEN IN TERROR!!!!!
is there any chance for hiv