The Son

Hi Doctor Bob! My mother actually sent you numerous messages about my piercing situation. First I would like to thank you for your patience and understanding on her...much more than I can say at the moment. I'm so embarrassed on the questioning she has brought to you. I know she's scared, in fact my whole life she has been this way. Here's the REAL story. I got my nose ring changed, not pierced. The piercer used a taper which is a SOLID steel needle-like instrument minus the hallow part. Here is a photo http://www.xxxxxxxxxxx.org/tapers.jpg

The end is open, but the tip is completely solid. So know hollow bore, just the open end is...I guess the only hallow part. In any case, I doubt they would re-use instruments, but if he did.. if the needle itself is mostly theoretical, would the taper be even less of a risk since the tip that goes in is solid? And he rubbed the tip of the taper with anti-microbial soap/lubricant, does that do any killing of virus, if on it?

If re-used, it could have been sitting there 3 minutes to hours...who knows. But NOT straight from one person , right to me.

I was fine until my mom started worrying me, and mortified she calls herself "martini mom".

I humbly offer $200 for the time, compassion and PATIENCE you have displayed towards my mother... and me.

:) thanks again

Don't be embarrassed by your mom (AKA "Martini Mom"). After all it's part of the job description of a parent: to thoroughly embarrass their children. Just like it's in all children's' job descriptions to completely frustrate well-meaning parents! As I mentioned to Ms. Martini, I have not seen a case of piercing-induced HIV since the Reagan era. And being from San Francisco, I can assure you "ink and steel" are as popular now as platform shoes and bell bottoms were for your mom's generation.

Your piercer's technique and certification (APP, Association of Professional Piercers), sound fine to me. I see absolutely no cause for concern. Yes, solid-bore instruments are much less risky than hollow-bore needles. Yes, antibacterial products used in piercing salons should further decrease any transmission risk from infectious agents.

Don't let your mom's unwarranted anxiety and irrational fears ruin your day. If and when she begins to freak out, just pour her another martini and have her sign on to this Web site. She can review the extensive archives whenever she pleases. There she should find enlightenment and reassurance to the point she may soon find herself sporting a diamond belly button ring or tongue stud.

Thanks for your generous donation to the Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). It's warmly appreciated. Be well. Stay well. (Yes, indeed you are well!)

The new ring looks way cool.

New worker
if Dr. Bob was French... ? (SIX WEEKS VERSUS THREE MONTH HIV TESTS)