Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

$80 question
Feb 10, 2009

I want to donate some cash to your foundation and also get some advice/input on my situation..hopefully you can calm my fears and anxiety. I work at a hair salon which is also an art studio and piercing studio. On weekends we have hook shows which is basically people getting hooks pierced through their back and rope getting laced through it and..pulling OUCH!!!. It is done in the front cashier/ couch area of the place. The people do bleed and I'm concerned with customers that get pierced the next day. Is this unsanitary for the piercing studio. They are pierced with the HUGE hooks in the piercing studio, but the rope is attached to them in the front of the store. Is there any risk of transmission to customers that get pierced the next day?

I suppose this is irrational thinking. It's not as if the people getting 'hooked' are getting their blood and rubbing it on the piercing instruments, and I'm sure the owners clean up any blood or mess left afterward. This is a very reputable place.

Am I being crazy? I tried to think of emergency rooms in the same way, blood coming in from people, yet no one in the waiting rooms or other patients are getting HIV from the emergency patients, and proper cleaning should be done.

Is there any risk of HIV transmission for the people getting pierced if blood left over from these hooked people?

$80 donation on the way!! Thank you sooooo much!

I will send another message with a photo of what I'm talking about. I don't want to send it with this message, so it could be privately looked at. PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF YOU RECEIVED THE PHOTO!!

WHAT THE HELL...$100 for looking at the photo and this message!

I will title it "$80 question photo" :)

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

First off, yes I viewed the photo and all I can say is OUCHAMAGOUCHA!!!!!! As for an HIV or other bloodborne pathogen transmission risk, there would be no risk if indeed any blood was appropriately cleaned up after these wild human crochet hookups!

Thanks for your donation to the Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org).

Be well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Re: So Scared.....
Next
New worker

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.