Allo de Quebec (part 2)

Allo Dr.Robert...encore moi! Comment ca va? I really need your help to clarify something for me...it's now been 6 months since my exposure and last month I started getting severe muscle weakness, dysphagia, extreme exhaustion, severe migraines, and my doc said she suspected Myasthenia.. But after running several tests for MG, they were negative... I also have very sore flank and hip pain with sinus pressure and eye pain and this week I now have a 5mm white speck around my tonsil are in the back of the mouth..I know that for Occ exp you suggest testing to 6 months but in my case I tested neg at 5 months on 4th gen ag/ab and I am convinced without a single doudt that I have HIV and have not yet developped ABs...I was told that GBS is what I experienced and I know that HIV is related to this...I am going to test again this week but like I said I am sure I beat the odds...if HIV is such a devastating virus, why do we let people off the hook with a negative at 12 weeks when we know that there's a probability that they seroconvert at 6 months? I remember you saying that the "vast majority" wasn't good enough when dealing with HIV...so please help, do I have HIV knowing for sure that I was exposed to an HIV partner when I performed oral sex?

Stp Mon chere docteur j'ai tellement besoin de ton support pour finir avec ce cauchemar de six mois!!!

Thanks and be safe...

Mon Cher Québécois,

My assessment of your situation remains unchanged. My recommendations regarding HIV testing are based on scientific studies and statistical analysis. If you do not believe your negative 4th generation HIV-antibody/antigen test at five months following your low-risk oral sex HIV exposure and want to get retested at the six-month mark, that option is certainly always open to you. I have no doubt the result will once again be negative. I'm not denying your symptoms; I'm merely advising that the cause of those symptoms is not HIV.

As it turns out, I'm presently at 38,000 feet winging my way across the continent heading to Quebec! This year's Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections (CROI) is being held in Montreal! Let me know if I need to make a house call!

Finally, regarding "ton cauchemar," it's important to realize that nightmares are in essence nothing more than bad dreams. They are not reality.

Allo de Quebec! Nov 27, 2008

Salut Robert! You guessed it, your fan club extends even to Montreal!!! Lots of docs here even speak about you! So, I decided to write and get your advice cause I can't seem to get a straight answer...and I need to know if I can scream a French WOOHOO or not...Four months ago I had a brief encourer, I performed unprotected oral sex on another guy without ejaculation and then 1 month later found out he was positive...So I tested at the top clinic here in Mtl and they said 2 months us there WP. I tested at 8 weeks as they suggested and then again at 12.5 weeks both negative. However, I still have a few symptoms I can't explain such as a constant burning mouth, joint aches, headaches with eye pressure, flank pain especially when I sleep on my sides...I know oral is low risk, 1/10,000 with known HIV individual. I also know that you sometimes say 12 weeks is definitive but you (and others) also suggest 6 months for a confirmed exposure...So mon chere docteur, what do suggest? Need to get rid of all this worrying and confusion and your words are the answer... I will be sending over a donation shortly towards the fight!! Merci en avance pour ton aide!!!

Salut Mec,

À l'aise Blaise! Tu peux crier YOUPPIE!!!

Oral sex carries only a very slight risk of HIV transmission/acquisition. Your negative HIV tests at 8 and 12.5 weeks are definitive and conclusive. HIV is not your problem. No way. No how. No additional tests are warranted. Whatever is causing your symptoms, one thing is absolutely certain: It's not HIV!

I'm delighted I have fans in Montreal, because I'm a fan of Montreal. I was there recently and had a marvelous time! I plan to return very soon.

Bisettes and Crêpes Suzette à tous!

HIV Progression
Exposure in one country, testing in another