Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

lack of superinfection and 'cure'
Feb 6, 2009

hi doc. it appears there's been some recent reevaluating regarding the topic of superinfection, written about on this very site.

a study lends credence to the theory that not only does superinfection not occur, but 2 poz partners become immune to the other's strain. Couple this with the study of the prostitutes who stayed healthy until they STOPPED exposing themselves with new HIV, and couple that with the fact that the initial natural immune response to hiv is very good,... we can come to a theory:

treatment for poz people should include perpetually re-exposing the patient to hiv.

Its like that Grindhouse movie where Bruce Wilis and the soliders are zombies, but they stay human as long as they continually intake the virus that causes zombi-ism. Thoughts?

Any studies exploring giving a patient HIV over and over? Are we on to somethign? Thank you, sir.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

You want to design a clinical trial in which an HIV-negative person is given repeated exposures to HIV based on a Bruce Willis Zombie movie in which he retains his humanness by continually exposing himself to the virus that causes "zombism"???? Oh my. That has as much chance of getting through an investigational review board as Dubya has of simultaneously winning Nobel prizes for peace, economics and rocket science.

I assume your theory is based somewhat on the intriguing and slowly evolving story about HIV-negative men in long-term relationships with HIV-positive men developing an antibody response in saliva that may inhibit HIV infection. Investigations are underway studying IgA1 antibodies in HIV-negative men in magnetic relationships. To jump from these preliminary reports to a clinical trial such as you suggest is, of course, a quantum leap of faith that no one in their right mind should take, even zombie-ized Bruce Willis. Stay tuned to The Body. We'll keep you updated as we unlock more mysteries related to the immune response to HIV and the potential of induced protective immunity.

Dr. Bob

Previous
you never answered my question. do you hate me? but i like you.
Next
HIV and Aids

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.