The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

you never answered my question. do you hate me? but i like you.

Feb 5, 2009

I asked this question two times in the past. Me and my date are planning to get a HIV test, before we start a relation. She has diabetes, she takes some pills and injections for controlling the diabetes. Is an HIV antibody test sufficient for her? I mean, is an HIV antibody test accurate? or does she have to get a PCR test?

Response from Dr. Frascino


You are wondering if I hate you because I haven't answered your question? No, I don't hate you, but I do get mildly annoyed at people who get annoyed at me for not responding to questions that have already been answered over and over again and are readily available in the archives. See below!

Yes, an HIV-antibody test would be accurate despite having diabetes and taking medication to control it. PCR testing is not warranted.

Dr. Bob

Diabetes and Hiv Testing! Aug 22, 2006

Hi Dr. Bob,

I am sorry if this is the wrong site for this question, but I did not see where else on here to ask so here is my simple question: If you have diabetes or high blood sugar levels and you are unaware of it so you are not taking any meds for it, will it intefere with your Hiv antibody tests results causing a false test result. Thank you ahead of time for your answer.


Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello M.R.,

Diabetes with or without elevated blood sugars will not affect the results of your HIV tests.

Dr. Bob

Florist needs answers :(
lack of superinfection and 'cure'

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint