Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Question never posed. Difficulkt question Monkey scratch ( serious research)
Feb 5, 2009

Hello dear dr Bob:

I recently came back from my honeymoon, I visited Indonesia, wich is a wonderful place, I went to the monkey forest, a forest with a lot of macaques, when I was feeding one of them ,a big macaque came to me in a hurry and scratched me, causing my hand to bleed, I am very concerned because I did a research and found no clear answers, here are the links I found:

http://gvfi.org/Wolf_pubs/4_LeBreton_2007.pdf

http://www.balidiscovery.com/messages/message.asp?Id=2705

Does the expoisure I told you poses a risk to me or my wife? I was scratched on november 15. Thank you for your help.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Although we could certainly contract HIV/AIDS from "monkeying around" (so to speak), there are no documented cases or reports suggesting HIV can be transmitted from a macaque in need of a manicure who scratches someone! The two references you cite are not relevant to HIV transmission via monkey scratch.

Dr. Bob

Previous
workout nutrition
Next
my blood came in contact with urine of hiv positive. Very scared.

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.