Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

A post in "The Body" triggered my fears. 4 questions.
Feb 2, 2009

Dear Doctor:

I am a married man and two years ago I had 2 episodes of sex with 2 different men. (In one experience I received oral sex, no condom, and in the other I gave him brief (one minute), unprotected oral sex without ejaculation, then I received proteced anal sex, and as I far I can remember the condom did no break and it was properly used.

I had forgotten this episodes until I read a post in this site about a person who shaked hands with a HIV positive man with "horrible peeling in his hands".

I remember having some weird symptoms after the last experience two years ago, that I disregarded because the low risk of my sexual "sexcapades", including: dispnea, shooting pain in my glands of my neck, peeling hands and feet, pain under my armpits, no fever.

The hand peeling problem is related because I have been suffering it from 9 months after the last sex episode (lasting one year and a half). Occasionally I also suffer from pain under my armpits, shooting pain in my glands and tingling muscles.

The question are: 1) could the weird symptoms that I experienced 2 years ago be related to ARS? 2)Could early simptoms of HIV infection occur 9 months after the exposure and running continously for so long (1 year and a half) 3)I sometimes have high level of sugar in my blood, can this trigger skin problems like hand peeling? 4)I have a past history of irrational fear of this disease. Could the fact that I am a married man, with children, plus the associated guilt related be triggering this odd symptoms?

I know I have to test and I will do it asap, but I want to hear your opinion first.

You are very kind for your time. Best wishes,

Scared Brandon.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Brandon,

1. No.

2. No.

3. No.

4. Possibly.

I would suggest the following:

1. Get an HIV test if you feel you put yourself at risk.

2. See a dermatologist for your skin problem.

3. Level with your wife regarding your indiscretions.

4. Consider counseling to help you confront your irrational fears of HIV and also to discuss sexual orientation issues.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
it takes only one time (HETEROSEXUAL TRANSMISSION) (HIV TRANSMISSION AFTER ONE EXPOSURE)
Next
Happy to make Donation ! Worried Man ! Please Help !

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.