so much mixed information pregnant and scared please I need help
Feb 1, 2009
Hi Dr Bob, First off thank you so much for what you do. You're sense of humor really helps people who are going through rough times. Also please let me know how I can make a donation and if I can use pay pal to make the donation. I would really appreciate your expert opinion on my situation. I am 2 months pregnant and I stepped on a discarded needle attached to a syringe. I went to the clinic right after and I was told there was pretty much no hiv risk and not to worry about it and If I became concerned to take an hiv test at 3 months. Well anyways I went to visit my family Dr today due to my pregnancy and he asked how things were etc and I mentioned the needle incident, and he gave me a totally different opinion. He said HIV was a valid risk because I don't know how long that needle had been sitting there etc. Now I'm afraid and I don't know who to believe with two such different opinions. So my questions are:
1) Am I at high risk for HIV? 2) How accurate will a 4 week test be? 3) Is it true that PEP is not recommended for a needle injury of this sort. That is what I was told by one Dr, but then my family Dr said PEP is recommended?
Thank you for looking at my question I would really appreciate a response I am a nervous wreck over the safety of me and my unborn baby.
Response from Dr. Frascino
1. No. Your risk is negligible at best.
2. Tests taken prior to three months are not considered to be definitive.
3. PEP is recommended only for significant HIV exposures. It also must be started as soon as possible and no later than 72 hours after the exposure. I would not recommend PEP for your injury.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Is Hair Loss A Sign Of AIDS?
- Black Spots After Condom Broke Anal Worried I Have HIV
- Black Spots After Licking Vagina Worried I Have HIV
- Cold Feet After Sex With Stripper Condom Broke Worried I Have HIV
- Itchy Rash After Blood Splash Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Rash After Oral Sex Hooker What Are The Chances Of HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.