Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Vaporizers
Feb 1, 2009

I just read a post from a woman who was worried about her son smoking out of a vaporizer. I was worried about the same issue. When she described the vaporizer, it sounded just like mine! Machine that heats up marijuana and a long hollow tube is attached to it that you suck the vapors through. If I had shared it with someone who had HIV would there be a risk? I started using the vaporizer because I heard it is safer than using a pipe or bong..but why am I so worried.

Main questions: Is there a risk from sharing this hollow tubing?

And is the woman in the previous post correct when she says it would have to be DRIPPING blood or at least noticably bloody tube to cause infection/worry?

I promise to send extra good karma energy :D AND a great donation! Please help me and can I send it through paypal?

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

If you shared your "laughing grass" vaporizer with an HIVer, you would not be putting yourself at risk for contracting the virus. There is no risk from sharing the hollow tubing.

As for the "dripping blood," not only would there need to be a sufficient quantity of fresh HIV-tainted blood, but that fresh blood would have to get into your blood via a fresh open wound or by coming into significant contact with a mucous membrane.

My advice is simple. Stop worrying. You're not going to get HIV from your Maui Wowie, no matter how you inhale it, OK? By the way, doesn't anyone just spark doobies anymore?

Thanks for your donation to the Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org).

Be well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Did you happen to see my question on reciprocal masturbation?
Next
17 year old in need

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.