Dear Dr. Bob, I need your help/hope/advice
Jan 30, 2009
Dear Dr Bob, I am the medical student who posted a thank you last week. After making a very unwise decision one night while feeling stressed out about upcoming residency interviews, I'm in the midst of a scare. My 5 week post-event test was negative, but now I'm reasonably certain I'm in the process of seroconverting. I know "symptoms are notoriously unreliable," but I really can't explain my these ones away, try as I might. I have generalized adenopathy and a flu-like illness which started right after I was tested.
I have a couple of questions for you: 1. How time-sensitive is this situation (i.e. do you think I should get tested again before the 3 month mark in order to start being treated?) 2. As a final year medical student, can I realistically expect to be well enough to endure a difficult 5-year residency programme or should I start readjusting my plans? 3. Will I be putting patients at risk? 4. Do you have any tips for dealing with the guilt and self-hating thoughts I'm having since having done something so risky?
Thank you Bob, really, you're an inspiration to me, and your site is getting me through these weeks.
Response from Dr. Frascino
Hello Medical Student,
How can you be reasonably certain you are in the process of seroconverting when you haven't even started your internship and residency yet??? You really don't know enough about clinical medicine to be reasonably certain about anything yet!
To briefly address your questions:
1. If I thought you were seroconverting, which I doubt, I'd suggest getting a plasma viral load and HIV-antibody test. If the viral load is undetectable and the HIV-antibody test negative, your symptoms would not be HIV related.
2. Don't you think you are jumping the gun worrying about a purely hypothetical situation? I do. Let's take things one step at a time, OK?
3. No. Universal precautions are used to prevent the transmission of bloodborne diseases, such as hepatitis and HIV.
4. Counseling would definitely help. I suggest you give it a try.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Chills After Sex With Sex Worker Worried I Have HIV
- Dark Bumps After Fingering Stripper Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Fever After Performing Oral Sex Worried I Have HIV
- Itchy Rash After Receptive Anal Sex Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Itchy Testicles After Masturbation Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Rectal Bleeding After Rimming Worried I Have HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.