Disclosing my HIV status

Dear Robert,

I am a foreign trained doctor, who has been diagnosed with HIV for the last 2 years. I have been doing well since being on anti-retrovirals. No health concerns. I have been interviewing this year in US for getting into a residency program and have high hopes to be chosen this year. Though my HIV status hovers on my head all the time, but especially during this time, I've been thinking more about it. I've been told that the hospitals require an HIV test besides others as a pre-employment test. Is that true and if yes, then what happens when the program finds out about it. Will I be denied of pursuing my residency training. Please help me! Thanks alot.

The policy regarding HIV-infected medical residents may vary from program to program. I would suggest you contact the programs you applied to and pose the question to them anonymously. In other words, don't identify yourself when you call, but rather just ask the question theoretically to find out what their policy is.

CD4 over 1000,still contagious as the DR has said? (ELITE CONTROLLERS, 2009)
friend from africa