Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

A Word of Thanks, and an Explanation, too!
Jan 29, 2009

Dear Dr. Frascino, A word of thanks to you for answering my question regarding Native American Sweat Lodge Ceremony and for the archive q & a... Although I can't speak of everything, I'd like to provide you some insight about Ceremony. (Your humor enlightened me about Custer!) Sweat Lodge Ceremony is very sacred. The lodge is for reflection, meditation, prayers and thanksgiving to our Creator. Although some Native American Women have Sweat Ceremony, it is usually reserved for the men. Very little (if anything!) is worn inside the Lodge. One person is Keeper of the Fire. One person is Keeper of the Door. One person pours Water. The rocks are placed in a pit over fire; once the rocks become very hot to the touch, water is poured over them to create steam inside the lodge. Ceremony usually lasts 2-3 hours, thus everyone is in a complete sweat. My husband and I are of mostly Native American descent. We keep up on current affairs, including health issues. I have my internship in Respiratory Therapy, but am in another career at this time. My husband is incarcerated in state prison. There are many people in who walk a different path within the walls; some HIV and/or Hepatitis C positive. Some attend Ceremony. My husband speaks his mind, especially about things that cause him concern. This was something that he didn't know the answer to, so he presented it to me. Out of respect for my husband, I addressed his question to you. So, Dr. Bob, now you've had a bit of a lesson in Native American ways! I'd like to hear what you think! Thank you again.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Thanks for your thanks and the nifty information on the sweat lodge ceremony. I've always enjoyed the steam room at my health club. We don't have a keeper of the fire, keeper of the door or water guy, but we do have a room chockablock full of hunky-spunky sweaty muscle guys, which, to me, is definitely a spiritual experience worthy of thanksgiving!

Dr. Bob

Previous
Please help. Made a mistake and now worried sick
Next
Unanswered thank you

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.