Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

BOB HELP ME PLEASE !!!!
Jan 28, 2009

first of all let me say that you will indeed get a donation form me; just please help me cope with my fear that i just might have hiv; 5 days after a low risk encounter ( anal fingering may have been alittle pre cum there) i got a isloated sore throat no fever no hash then 3 days later that night i got a head ache and fever and all three where gone the next day ? i was told that ars come on together and the fever is present 96% of the time; when i got my sore throat there was no fever present until that 3rd day at night so do these sytoms sound like ARS to you ??? please help me bob i cant sleep at night !!!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

I'll make three quick points:

1. Your HIV risk is so remote it is essentially nonexistent.

2. Symptoms are notoriously unreliable in predicting who is and is not HIV infected. The reason to worry or to get HIV tested should be related to your HIV-risk exposure, not to whether symptoms are present.

3. Your "symptoms" are not suggestive of or worrisome for HIV acute retroviral syndrome (ARS). (Also, ARS symptoms become manifest two to three weeks after primary HIV infection, not several days.)

Thank you for your willingness to make a donation to the Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org).

Be well. Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
update (SWEAT, 2009)
Next
Headed to the looney bin:)

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.