Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

A mothers job is never done...
Jan 28, 2009

Hello Dr, Bob! First off I would like to comend you for your selflessness and compassion toward others. I have searched and searched many websites and this website and YOU are incredible! Now to my isssue..

My daughter is severly going through OCD and anxiety. I'm trying my hardest to help her out and have the perfect words to calm her but nothing seems to help. I put her on Inositol to help with anxiety and OCD, so let's see how that works... She was at a party the other night and she has been freaking out about an incident that happened. She can't eat or sleep and it's breaking my heart. She said a girl of unknown status was talking to her very close and the girl accidently spit in her eye while talking. My daughter wears contacts by the way. She said it was like one tiny speck of spit, but she is terrified. She thinks that this is plausible for infection of HIV.

She said she read that if there is noticable amount of blood that would be a cause for concern. But I try to tell her that's if it's a lot of spit not a small spittle. Now tell me if I'm correct in what advice I'm giving her...

I tell her that saliva somewhat inactivates HIV and even if there was small amounts of blood, that the saliva would work against it and that no one could humanly possibly have the amount of blood in a spittle to infect someone. Maybe if they hocked one up, but not in an accidentle small spray or spit of...well..spit. She's afraid that the girl could have had HIV and bit her tongue or her cheek and then spit in her eye. I try to say that's irrational thinking and that she would have noticed blood dripping from her eye if that was the case. Please tell me I am somewhat correct.

I will send $50 now and $50 when I get paid, I'm kind of in a slump right now, but know you are well deserving of your foundation getting a great donation.

If you beleive in God or a higher power, I always believe whatever is in GOD's will is what is meant for you and your life, and your life is inspiring and makes me believe again, that there are wonderful people in this world. I truly believe in Karma, and I know you are overloaded in good karma points. I truly am blown away by your work. I wish you nothing but the best and good, great, fabulous karma!!!

P.S Do you know anything about Inositol or how much I should give her? She is 24. Thank you again :)

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi Worried Mom,

My 84-year-old mother would agree with you that "a mother's job is never done!" She still gives me plenty of useful advice!

Regarding your assessment of your daughter's HIV-acquisition risk, you are right on target. Her risk is completely nonexistent. Her fears are completely unwarranted and totally irrational. She can read about many similar cases in the archives of this forum. I see absolutely no cause for even the slightest concern. Her problem is definitely OCD, not HIV.

Here's what we know about inositol. Patients suffering from clinical depression often have decreased levels of inositol in their cerebrospinal fluid. There have been preliminary promising results using inositol to treat bulimia, panic disorders, OCD and depression. I am aware of one double-blinded clinical trial using "myo-inositol" in patients with OCD. The results showed the myo-inositol significantly reduced the symptoms of OCD. There is no recommended dose or recommended dietary allowance (RDA) for inositol. Do not exceed the dose recommendation on the product label you have. Clinical studies have been done with a wide range of inositol doses, ranging from 6 to 18 grams per day.

If indeed your daughter is having significant ongoing problems with anxiety and irrational HIV fears, she may need psychological or psychiatric evaluation and treatment. Living with these types of fears can be incapacitating.

Thank you for your donation to the Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). It's warmly appreciated. In return I'm sending both you and your daughter my good-luck/good-health karma.

Good health and happiness to you both.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Can get new Virus?
Next
HIV AND HSV/ sex ed teacher

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.