The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

My 26 year old son

Jan 28, 2009

O.k now I know I need to loosen the ties to my son, and I am overprotective! My son is 26 years old and a regular pot smoker (which I HATE!) He shares a marijuana pipe with one of his friends, and my son gets very chapped lips, and they also sometimes use a vaporizer(which is a machine tht heats up the pot and attached to a tube you put in your mouth and breath in/suck the vapors) now I'm worried about HIV transmission. Is there any risk, or am I just too protective? I read that you can't get HIV from sharing drinks, food etc... So would this fall in the same category..kind of like sharing a straw?

My doctor says there is no risk unless the pipe was dripping blood, but that my son wouldn't put it in his mouth in that case. Is this true?

Any risk of sharing pipes or vaporizers?

I will donate $100 for you services! Please help!

love you

Response from Dr. Frascino


I agree with your doctor's assessment: no risk. I also agree with your assessment: overprotective.

Thanks for your generous donation to the Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation ( It's warmly appreciated.

Why not advise your son to check out this Web site. The archives could be helpful in reinforcing HIV prevention (both sexual and nonsexual). There are even a number of questions pertaining to marijuana, pipes, bongs and other assorted relics from the Woodstock era.

Be well.

Dr. Bob

chichenpox = ARS??
Herpes Screening and HIV Risks

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint