Worried dad again!

Thank you for your response. You were wondering why I was afraid that there may be hiv infected blood on the lancet.

I just wanted to add that her campus clinic is also an HIV clinic so this is why I wonder about the lancet being used and having HIV infected blood, considering the do HIV testing there as well with the lancets. If there was blood, would the air EVEN if capped again, would inactivate it?

Please answer this last question! I promise to DOUBLE, TRIPPLE up on my donation for your advice! I love my daughter...and my sanity. Please help! Sincerely, crazy daddy :)

Hello Crazy Daddy,

HIV does not live very long outside the body. Your fears remain completely unwarranted. My assessment and advice remain unchanged.

Thanks for your donation to the Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org).

Be well. Stop worrying, OK?

Worried dad Jan 20, 2009

My daughter has diabetes, and recently while at school (college) she fainted. Students took her to the campus clinic and used a lancet to check her glucose. I'm terrified they may have re-used a lancet. She said they pulled one out of a bag that had many lancets in it. She doesn't remember if it was capped, but she asked the person doing the test and they assured her even if they wanted to re-use it, they couldn't because the needle gets retracted and not able to re-use. In any case, just to ease my mind, are lancet the same as needle prick injuries ie. hollow or solid?

And when someone uses a lancet, does blood even get on the needle, considering they have to squeeze blood out after the prick. If so, would it be a sufficient amount of blood and big enough wound? Would this be a significant risk?

I will proudly donate!! PROMISE!

Hello Worried Dad,

Your daughter's HIV-acquisition risk is nonexistent. Lancets are solid and are not reusable. I'm not at all concerned about your daughter. However, I am a bit concerned about the degree of panic you have over this non-exposure. Aside from the fact that lancets are not reusable, why would you even consider the lancet would have HIV-tainted blood on it? These fears are irrational. If indeed you are "terrified" over irrational HIV fears, such as these, counseling might help.

Stop worrying, OK?

Still worried and going in for test
Testing