|McKesson Auto Push Lancet
Jan 22, 2009
1. Is this product truly safe? I recently got an HIV finger prick test. They used the McKesson Auto Push lancet that they say is one time use only and once the button is pressed to eject the needle to prick the finger, the needle retracts and the button can no longer be pressed.
2. I worry because the lancets were in a bag or something mounted on the wall in the patient exam room. They were all together not individually wrapped, but all capped. Is that safe to be all together in that bag in the patient exam room?
They took me in a seperate room where the nurses are and the HIV counselor ran the test there, but I DID NOT see the nurse when she got the lancet or where she got it from.
3. At first the HIV counselor just opened a cabinet and grabbed a silver long needle from a box where there were several needles and was going to use that before the nurse brought the lancet. I couldn't believe that he would just grab something and try to prick me with it. Was that safe? Do you think everything in the cabinets are sterile?
I'm still worried that the LANCET could have been re-used and infecting me with HIV. The clinic helps people that have HIV along with HIV testing. SO this is what scares me more.
Can I send a money order as donation? And where do I send it to? Attn: Dr. Bob?
| Response from Dr. Frascino
1. Yes, Auto Push lancets are very safe and assure single use because the needle retracts and the device cannot be retriggered. Stop worrying!
2. Yes, it's completely safe.
3. Stop worrying! They used the lancet. Even if they did choose to use a needle, it would have been sterile. Needles, syringes, lancets and other similar devices are not reused!
4. Yes, the Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation accepts money orders, cashier's checks, credit cards, PayPal, cash, etc. Donation information can be found on the foundation's Web site at www.concertedeffort.org. The foundation's address is:
The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation 1000 Fremont Ave., Suite 145 Los Altos, CA 94024
Stop worrying. All is well (including you), OK?
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.