Is PEP recommended?

I received unprotected anal sex from a transgendered sex worker for 30 seconds. There was no ejaculation but it was a little painful (first time). Afterwards, I asked her repeatedly if she had any STDs or was hiv positive. She said no, and that she had a negative test in November and had the paperwork to prove it. I am wondering if PEP would be recommended for this situation? I think it is past the 72 hr limit however I am freaking out and not sure what to do. I plan to get tested at 6 weeks and 3 months from now... is that all I should do? Please help Dr. Bob.

PEP is no longer even an option. To be effective it needs to be started within 72 hours from the time of exposure.

As for what you should do, I have two suggestions:

1. Get an HIV-antibody test at the three-month mark. HIV-antibody tests taken prior to three months are not considered to be definitive.

2. Wise up and never put yourself at risk again! Use latex condoms for all penetrative sex. Peruse the archives of this forum for detailed information about safer sex techniques, proper condom use and HIV-prevention methods.

Worried and Wondering
Oral Surgery Increased Oral Sex & Kiss Exposure