Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

I dont really know what to do, pls. help me Dr. Bob
Jan 18, 2009

Hi Dr. Bob,

I am writing you the fifth time already. I know you cant answer any question however pls. try to read mine at least. I had a handjob in China with massage oil from a sex worker..not more....2 weeks later dry cough..light sensitivity and felt strange..lymphnodes .Now, 5 weeks after got a cold and I a light temperature increase and dizzy but what I am scared for is that I hve small pimples (no colour) in my mouth.(palate, lip inside) ..dont hurt and I detected a bitter taste...I guess the standard answer for my case would be " handjob is a low risk"...Dr. Bob, 1) are those symptoms for a hiv infectionor I am paranoid? 2) do I have hiv ?

Please just answer me in one sentence not more not less. I do not want to steal your time. Please doctor...I do not enjoy life no more since that happened...I feel guilty for the situation I have put myself in.

Another dude that only can say: Respect for your genius work, youre the doc ever!

Martin (from china)

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi Martin from China,

"I know you can't answer any question . . . ." Well Martin, that's not exactly true. I really can answer almost "any" question. I just can't answer "every" question.

You essentially answered your own question by stating a "handjob is a low risk." I would take that one step further and say that without extremely unusual extenuating circumstances, as far as HIV is concerned, handjobs are essentially no risk.

As for symptoms, as I stated many times in this forum, they are notoriously unreliable in determining who is and is not HIV infected. Your symptoms are not at all suggestive of HIV acute retroviral syndrome (ARS) or HIV disease.

Do I think you've contracted HIV? Nope! I think you identified your real problem when you wrote: ". . . I feel guilty for this situation . . . ." You need to focus on your guilt and fear of HIV infection. These are your real issues, not actually having HIV. Counseling may help. If my reassurance is not enough for you to shake off your unwarranted worries, get a single HIV-antibody test at the three-month mark. The results will undoubtedly be negative.

Be well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
HIV...Scared (PREGNANCY AND FALSE POSITIVE HIV TESTS)
Next
Ready to Donate and Worried...

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.