Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Canadian Guy Follow-Up
Jan 17, 2009

Hi Dr. Bob. This is the Canadian guy who posted to you last April, the 29th i believe. I just wanted to say thank you for your encouragement and to say that you were right 110%. I was like the other 200 trillion worried wells here making myself sick about the disease that I didn't have. Again, we love you here in Canada and are an inspiration to me to contribute to my community about HIV awareness. You sir, are an angel and this world is lucky to have you give positive answers to tired questions. Excelsior!!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi Canadian Guy,

Welcome back to the forum. I'm delighted to make your WOO-HOO testimonial number 200-trillion-and-one (200,000,000,000,001)!

I'll repost below your original question for our reader's edification.

Be well. Stay well. WOO-HOO!

Dr. Bob

Br. Bob Help!!!! Apr 29, 2008

hi. i'm a 31 year old straight Canadian male who just recently had unprotected oral sex with man who said he was "clean" about a week and a half ago. this was a "curious phase" and don't endeavor to do it again. he didn't ejaculate in my mouth and there was no form of penetration either and the oral lasted less than 10 minutes. i am not sure if he was gay or bi but he said he was clean. and now reading into the symptoms of hiv, my mind has me totally convinced that i may in trouble. i have body aches, i havent been eating much in the past 5 days and my stomach hurts from not eating. there was no fluid exchange to my knowledge and am concerned about the psychological stress my mind is putting my body through. i have taken 2 hiv tests because im scared out of my tree because the results arent in yet. again, my mind must be convincing my body about the symptoms and my anxiety is through the roof where i'm sick to the stomach. reading about symptoms on the internet is a bad thing to do is it not? i need help with this please!! we love you in Canada Br. Bob!!!!!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi "Curious Phase" Canadian Guy,

Oral sex carries a very low risk for HIV transmission/acquisition. I absolutely agree your guilt and anxiety are causing your current symptoms. This is probably much worse because this was your first guy-on-guy action. You can find many similar "bi-curious" and first-time "guy-on-guy" action scenarios causing severe guilt and often completely irrational HIV fears in the archives. Reading these testimonials may help you put your situation in better perspective. My advice to you is the same as it has been to the many others who found themselves in a similar situation:

1. If you are worried about HIV, and clearly you are, get a rapid HIV test at the three-month mark. (Results are available within 20 minutes!) HIV-antibody tests taken prior to the three-month mark are not considered to be definitive or conclusive.

2. Whether you are straight as a lawn dart or gay as the Christmas windows at Macy's, I would suggest you get psychological counseling to explore sexual orientation issues in addition to therapy for your irrational and unwarranted fears related to HIV.

3. Peruse the wealth of information on this Web site, in its archives and on the related links, paying particular attention to oral sex, HIV-transmission risks (sexual), HIV prevention (sexual), safer sex techniques and HIV diagnostic tests.

Good luck. I'm quite confident all will turn out well for you!

Dr. Bob

Previous
k-pak multivitamins
Next
Anxiety ridden and not sleeping.

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.