20 Years in Hell Follow Up (HOME ACCESS EXPRESS TEST, 2009)

Dear Dr. Frascino,

Thank you so very much for your prompt and helpful response to my earlier question. You are providing a great service and I am certainly going to make a contribution to your foundation to help you continue with your good works. It is truly amazing how many people are out there who are afraid and alone, or at least feel alone. It must be very rewarding to be able to bring help to so many.

I was very relieved to hear you classify my chance of infection as "almost nonexistent". I believe that unprotected vaginal intercourse is a "high risk" behavior, so I am thinking that your response is based on the almost twenty years of time that has elapsed since the possible exposure, not the nature of the act itself. Please correct me if I am wrong.

As far as testing goes, I am now looking for a place to have it performed. I would like to do it anonymously, but that service is unavailable in the small center in which I live. I am planning to go to the Planned Parenthood clinic in the nearest large city as soon as I can travel there. In your response you suggested getting a rapid test. I have heard that these are ELISA tests and that they have a higher rate of false positive results. Since I have had to begin a series of very unpleasant shots in preparation for this move, I am concerned about the possibility of cross reacting viral antibodies. I can't imagine that anything, other than an experimental rat, would have more antibodies than I do at this moment. Some of the shots have made be feel terrible. I think a false positive and the time to wait for the Westen Blot would be very hard for me to deal with right now. Any suggestions? What about the HomeAccess test? That way, I would not have to travel to take the test.

Thank you for your encouragement and professional opinion. I wish you good health and much happiness.

Sincerely, Middle-Aged Crazy

Hello Middle-aged Crazy,

Thanks for your thanks and kind comments. Home Access Express Tests are extremely accurate with both sensitivity and specificity approaching 100%. (See below.) If this type of testing is more convenient for you, you can utilize it with confidence. It is FDA approved. I remain confident no matter what test you ultimately decide on (ELISA, EIA, Home Access, rapid oral fluid or rapid blood, etc.), your ultimate result will be negative. Don't worry about your immunizations. False-positive test results due to vaccinations are very rare and easily sorted out with confirmatory tests when needed. The important thing for you is just getting tested. Twenty years and counting may just put you into the Worried Well Guinness Book of World Records!

Self test kits (HOME ACCESS EXPRESS TEST) Jun 26, 2008

Dear Rob,

Sometime ago I indicated that my wife is pregant, now at 7 & 1/2 months. She was diagonised to be HIV positive.

Well, I decided to take some tests but my result shows a clean bill, i.e. negative. I have repeatedly taken the self-test for HIV. I buy them in a local drugstore...unfortunately for my wife the results are still positive!

My question: Are self-test HIV kits realiable? If yes, how reliable? Would you advise people to use these tests? I have been reliably informed that they are very accurate though!

Please help!

The only FDA-approved home test kit for HIV is the Home Access Express test. It is very accurate with sensitivity and specificity both approaching 100%. (See below.)

Home Access Kits? Sep 3, 2005

Can you tell me if the Home Access test kits sold on Amazon.com are safe?

Thanks.

By "safe" I assume you mean reliable, right? Yes, Home Access H-1 Express Test kits are FDA approved and reliable. And since they cost more than $25, I'll bet you'll get free super saver shipping as well! I should remind everyone that Home Access kits do require you use a lancet to get blood that you then apply to a filter strip that gets mailed in a protected envelope using an anonymous code. Home Access tests use a double EIA and a confirmatory immunofluorescence assay. Sensitivity and specificity approach 100%. Results are available in seven days. Callers learn of their negative test results via a prerecorded message. Callers with positive results receive counseling. Counseling is also available for negative-testing callers if desired and requested.

Good luck!

Type of lancet affect home access test? Jan 24, 2008

I had two neg home access tests @ 28 days and 1 at 16 weeks and a few days so Ill round up to 17 weeks... I know the tests at 28 days dont tell my anything now, they were more to alleviate anxiety but my question is about the 17 week test. I didn't use the lancet that came with the test I used one commonly used for diabetes because it was easier and less painful than the one that came with the kit... was it okay to use that and would the volume of blood or depth from which the blood was taken affect the 17 week test. It was negative. Thanks and take care.

No problem. Whether you used a pin, lancet or machete to get blood, the results will be the same. Although cleanup after machete use can be somewhat problematic.

Am I HIV Resistant
January 20th....whoohooo