Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Hope Nobel Peace Prize Nominated to you
Jan 15, 2009

How about you and your health? You alway care us, Please care yourself. If I be a Nobel Peace Committee,I would choose you as Nobel Peace Prize. You did fantastic job for thousands thousands people. My donation is in the way. I need your help to move on. I am in extremely depressed and anxiety for four months . Here is my story. Fours months ago, I had failed(condom was big and droped) vaginal sex with my girlfriend who had two young babies(one was six year,another eight month old,both likes health). Just two days after this exposure, I had blister in left mouth corner and two swollen lymph nodes at left side. I have not been any STDs and not sex active person. I was so scared, and worried I was definitely infected STDs,like herpes. At third week I had pharglitis and some uncomfortable in left lung, some abdominal pain and some diarrhea. I visited infection doctor at 25th. He did RNA loading(bDNA3 vesion, Quest diagnosis),CD4/CD8, antibody screening. All come back normal. He told me I do not need to worry about. But symptom continued. Some lower degree fever and dry mouth. At two month, another infection doctor did RNA loading and antibody screeing to me, come back also undetectable. I asked my girlfriend to do HIV antibody screening at 2th and 3th month after exposure( I did not have any sex activity since accident happened) using Home Access Kit which was FDA approved. Come back negative. At 12th week I asked the doctor to do western blot, three antibodies show nothing in the gel(Quest Diagnosis). Continued screening with HIV1/2 EIA with reflexes at 14th and 17 th week after exposure, showed non-reaction. If I do not have symptom, I will accepte I do not have. But joint pain, muscle pain and chronic pharnlitis and uncomfortable left lung never go away. After I exercise I always have lower degree fever.I test all STDs and other virus, I have high titer EBV, and herpes and lower titer CMV, no more. Here is my questions, I might be infected O subtype or other subtype like A/E which can not be detected,but girlfriend come from Asian. Is my pharglitis and some lung infection infected by herpes or EBV to continue recurr? I lost my weight(8 pounds in this four month) and now have night sweating. I really scared these symptoms. Can Home Access kit be trusted for my girlfriend's result at two and three month after exposure? Many people complained lower sensetivity of this kit. This is total mess to me and I can not find the way to cry. I understand many people to watch this website are anxiety. I know you face thousand of this kind questios, please answer my this one. Appreciate your effects

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Your repeatedly negative HIV tests, including multiple HIV-antibody tests, bDNA and HIV PCR RNA out to 17 weeks, are definitive and conclusive. HIV is not your problem. No way. No how.

1. Should you be concerned about subtype O or A/E? No. Absolutely not.

2. Both herpes and EBV can recur.

3. Home Access kits are extremely reliable.

I cannot diagnose the cause of your symptoms over the Internet. However, what I can do with great certainty is advise you what's not causing them: It's not HIV!

Follow up with your general medical doctor regarding any ongoing or recurrent symptoms you may have. But remember, HIV is not your problem!

I'll let you know if the Nobel committee calls.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Pleae tell me I am crazy!!!
Next
Please put my mind to rest

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.