Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Thanks from the priest
Jan 15, 2009

(No need to post this)

Thanks for your response, Dr. Bob. Knowing your qualifications, you have completely put me at ease. I have actually fought with conservative parents over things such as sex education in school, so I know how ideologically blind some people are.

I promise that I will be nothing but accepting and helpful to all people (including gay people) that I run across. I have been for all of my adult life. I will also promise you that I will continue to work within the Church on others who may not share these beliefs. But please do know that the Catholic Church and you probably agree on almost everything other than this issue. I think some conservative members of the hierarchy have cast clouds on us with their ignorant statements. If there is an anti-gay agenda in the Church, I have not run across it in my daily experiences. Most priests that I know are unsure about the sinfulness of the lifestyle, but they would never waver on their support of the individual. And this does not mean wasting time talking him out of his natural feelings. It means focusing on other parts of his life and the formation of a healthy conscience.

Please dont judge the Catholic Church on this one issue. And on this one issue, please dont take a few conservative voices and generalize them to the Church as a whole. If you walk into any Catholic Church, the homily should be about love and acceptance. As you know, there are good doctors and bad doctors just as there are good and bad priests and bishops.

Thanks again, Fr. Bob

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Father,

I'm delighted to be of service.

As for the Catholic Church and I agreeing on "almost everything other than this issue," well, no, I wouldn't agree to that. I can't support the church's position on abortion, celibacy, ordination of women as priests and a whole litany of other issues. I certainly don't have a problem with the Higher Powers, but I have many areas of disagreement with "the church". (I do not believe they are one and the same.) Also, to have a religion that refers to one's innate sexual orientation as "an abomination" is untenable and "un-Christian" in my opinion. Add to this the Catholic Church's recent very significant efforts to abolish same-sex marriage in California and perhaps you'll begin to understand why you won't find me (and so many others) at Sunday mass.

As for the anti-gay agenda in the church, one has only to read the comments of the Pope and review the church's actions (such as the opposition to same-sex marriage or same-sex couple's adoption). I definitely don't buy the "love the sinner, hate the sin" argument. And as for "most priests being unsure about the sinfulness of the lifestyle," I must point out sexual orientation is not a lifestyle. Being a priest could be considered a "lifestyle." It's a way of life you consciously chose. I did not choose to be gay. I have seen the damage the church has done to gays and lesbians throughout my medical career. It is not something the Higher Powers I believe in would condone. Consequently neither can I.

Yes, Father, I agree there are both good and bad priests, but the church itself is an unhealthy and unwelcoming place for gays and lesbians. All I can do is pray for its enlightenment.

Be well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Others Disclosing my status
Next
Aids to yourself

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.