The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Others Disclosing my status

Jan 15, 2009

I am dating and living with a younger man and his parents just found about my status. They were not happy with us living together in the first place but now it is not OK at all. His parents threatened to disclose my status to all the people I work with. What are my legal rights to prevent this disclosure?

Response from Dr. Frascino


Unfortunately there isn't too much you can do legally to prevent your boyfriend's parents from leaking this information at your workplace. If your employer discriminates against you because of your HIV status, you would then have a legal case. However, at the present time, all you have is a set of hateful and clueless potential future in-laws.

Certainly the first thing I would do is try the rational approach. You, your boyfriend and the evil parents should sit down for a heart-to-heart talk. Your boyfriend should do most of the talking. Address the parents' fears and concerns. Hopefully the parents' threats will never be realized. If necessary, your boyfriend could become rightfully indignant and make his own threats of damage to his relationship with the parents if they disclose your HIV status at work.

Good luck!

Dr. Bob

Extremely worried, strong promise for donation
Thanks from the priest

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint