Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

please dr Bob.make me feel better
Jan 14, 2009

Dear Dr Bob, Since I realize that all my last messages didnt have an answer because you re so busy,now I really need your help. 3 months ago I had protected sex with a girl on her period but the condom broke..panic stress etc etc. I called my doctor he told me not to worry and that pep was not warranted.so far everything is ok.I got tested at 3 months with elisa and rna pcr.the reason I took the rna pcr is that i didn`t want to wait until six months to get a conclusive test (here in Greece everyone tells me something different,2 months,3 months,6 months,12 months,never 100% sure.)It makes me have a headache all this stupid thing. I realize that testing positive after a negative 3 month test is like winning a lottery or being hit by a lightning strike but....... I have heard of some infected people that never become positive even though they are able to produce antibodies due to an atypical host response.Dr Conway told in a message that this is extremely extremely extremely rare and is happening only when people are infected with very small amounts of virus and as a result there is not enough response from the immune system to produce antibodies so the virus is hiding in the cells.please Dr Bob,you reassured me with my problem with the subtypes cause a person in Greece thinking of group N or even O is like thinking of malaria and ebola virus. I ve heard that the cases when the virus is hiding in the cells cause large and swollen lymph nodes because the infection cannot fight the virus (no antibodies). please Dr Bob answer to me,I wanna cry from the day I heard that. the pcr rna does not depend on antibodies but will I be sure that i m not infected. I hope that you answer me... you have helped so much,please do it another time.. Paul Greece

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Paul,

Your negative ELISA and RNA PCR tests at three months after your broken-condom sexperience are definitive and conclusive. HIV is not your problem. No way. No how. No need for any additional HIV tests.

Atypical host responses to HIV are beyond rare and actually are not dependent on very small amounts of virus. They are related to abnormal immune responses.

Stop worrying. Start WOO-HOOing!

Dr. Bob

Previous
dont wait!!!
Next
Sharing clothes (unclean?)

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.