Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Another Worried One, need help!
Jan 14, 2009

Dear Doctor, I had a one night stand protected encounter with a working girl in South America on Feb 18th, 2008. Couple of weeks after the encounter, I got back home and came donw with a severe case of the FLU and experienced all of the typical symptoms I read about on the internet for HIV. I started to panic (went crazy) and got tested for STD and HIV 1/2 EIA Antibody w/ Reflexes & EIA AB Screen on 3/3/08 and all came back Non-Reactive. In August of 08 I started loosing weight and experiencing more of the symptoms I always read about and started to panic again (this time was bad). I called a friend doctor in the area and he had me retest for HIV EIA Antibody w/ Reflexes AB again in 08/06/08. The results were Non-Reactive as well. For some reason I am still worried and this has taken a toll on me mentally and emotionally.

My question is related to the window period; many sites say that to be sure one needs to test at 3, 6, and 9 months? Do I need to go back in for another exam for my peace of mind or chances are I should accept the latest results in August of 08 (almost 5 1/2 months after the encounter date)? Please help as I am going crazy and cannot stand this any longer! HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP!!!!!!!

Thanks a million!

PD: before this encounter and ordeal I had no idea the impact of this desease; this certainly opened my eyes in many ways. This is a cause worth fighting for since so many people are afected by it.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Your negative EIA out to 5.5 months is definitive and conclusive. HIV is not your problem. No way. No how.

I agree this is indeed a cause worth fighting for.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Is this crazy? Or am I?
Next
Scab on Penis

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.