re: kid testing

Of course, test the kids! Test them once a year from here on out! Not because it's an immediate NEED; because it is an immediate OPPORTUNITY to educate them, to teach them to be responsible, and to eliminate the stigma associated with this illness. It terrifies me, HONEST TO GOD ABSOLUTELY TERRIFIES ME, that someone wouldn't want to know, would choose to remain helpless, and would CHOOSE to teach that helplessness to children that love and depend on them.

Please, please, please... test them, TEACH them. PLEASE! Teach them.

While I understand your frustration and totally agree with your sentiment that everyone should know their HIV status and be well briefed on STD/HIV-prevention methods, I disagree with your proposed methods. I absolutely concur we need to teach HIV/AIDS awareness and prevention through age-appropriate and science-based education programs in the schools as well as in the home. However, testing should be reserved only for situations in which it is indicated. Effective teaching does not require inappropriate or unwarranted HIV testing. To do so would be counterproductive on many levels and a waste of scarce and limited resources.

Testing during ARS "2"
UNSURE