Testing during ARS "2"

DR. Bob, thanks a million for your positive support for all positive HIV, I wonder where do you get all this energy to answer all those questions? you are wonderful. You answered my question (Testing during ARS) about my girl friend testing during ARS that came negative, on my insistance I asked the Dr. to do A qualitative PCR test in around the 14th week and after ten days from what looked like ARS, the test came back negative, can I rest now and concentarte on my HIV+ status? Is this test very conclusive at that time? Does she need to retest in three months again? By the way we have had no sex yet since about 3 1/2 months (prevention)so no other risk. Please help us like you always do. You are great.

As I stated at the time of your initial post, I agree totally with the information you received from your doctor: That your girlfriend's 13-week negative test was conclusive (see below). I haven't changed my mind. The undetectable qualitative PCR merely corroborates what we already knew!

Yes, you should concentrate on your own health. Your girlfriend is fine and dandy, OK?

Be well.

Testing during ARS Jan 3, 2009

Hi Dr. Bob, I really admire your site and specially your sense of humour, you are my favourite. I will ask a question that you may have answered but please forgive me. Anyhow, I was recently diagnosed with HIV my last protected (except a penis contact with the outer vagina in the beginning) with my girl friend was about 3 months ago (this happens before I came to know my status & since then no sex yet (prevention). In around 3 days before the 13 weeks (window) she experienced some flu like symptoms, sore throat, heavy sinus congestion with running noses, slight rush for a day in the arms, coughing, some fatigue; but no fever, no swollen lymph or diarrhoea or night sweats (those symptoms are similar to the one I experienced few months ago when I believe I seroconvert), she had a test done immediately, during the first 3 days of ARS with HIV Elisa 4th generation (ABBOTT) and it came negative, the Dr. Told us that I was conclusive due to the fact that it is done around the 13th week (with no intercourse in & between) and that the above test is picking up Antibodies and Antigens at the same time. According to you can we consider it as conclusive or should we repeat at 6 months? If yes what about the flu symptoms, that are exactly similar to the one I experienced? My last question can the Ag and or the Ab disappear during the short period of ARS and that is why the test is negative? Dear Dr. Please give your total feedback and advice, as I am very worried that I might have passed the virus to her, so far I can handle it but I dont know if she will. Sorry being long. My very best regards

Yes, I agree with the advice you received from your doctor. Your girlfriend's symptoms must have been caused by something other than HIV acute retroviral syndrome (ARS). Most likely she had the flu. Regarding your question about anti-HIV antibodies and p24 antigens, no, they do not disappear and then reappear.

Good luck to you both.

I am being a man, I am sorry for my past posts!! - Please answer me, i am on my knees!!
re: kid testing