Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Testing during ARS "2"
Jan 13, 2009

DR. Bob, thanks a million for your positive support for all positive HIV, I wonder where do you get all this energy to answer all those questions? you are wonderful. You answered my question (Testing during ARS) about my girl friend testing during ARS that came negative, on my insistance I asked the Dr. to do A qualitative PCR test in around the 14th week and after ten days from what looked like ARS, the test came back negative, can I rest now and concentarte on my HIV+ status? Is this test very conclusive at that time? Does she need to retest in three months again? By the way we have had no sex yet since about 3 1/2 months (prevention)so no other risk. Please help us like you always do. You are great.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

As I stated at the time of your initial post, I agree totally with the information you received from your doctor: That your girlfriend's 13-week negative test was conclusive (see below). I haven't changed my mind. The undetectable qualitative PCR merely corroborates what we already knew!

Yes, you should concentrate on your own health. Your girlfriend is fine and dandy, OK?

Be well.

Dr. Bob

Testing during ARS Jan 3, 2009

Hi Dr. Bob, I really admire your site and specially your sense of humour, you are my favourite. I will ask a question that you may have answered but please forgive me. Anyhow, I was recently diagnosed with HIV my last protected (except a penis contact with the outer vagina in the beginning) with my girl friend was about 3 months ago (this happens before I came to know my status & since then no sex yet (prevention). In around 3 days before the 13 weeks (window) she experienced some flu like symptoms, sore throat, heavy sinus congestion with running noses, slight rush for a day in the arms, coughing, some fatigue; but no fever, no swollen lymph or diarrhoea or night sweats (those symptoms are similar to the one I experienced few months ago when I believe I seroconvert), she had a test done immediately, during the first 3 days of ARS with HIV Elisa 4th generation (ABBOTT) and it came negative, the Dr. Told us that I was conclusive due to the fact that it is done around the 13th week (with no intercourse in & between) and that the above test is picking up Antibodies and Antigens at the same time. According to you can we consider it as conclusive or should we repeat at 6 months? If yes what about the flu symptoms, that are exactly similar to the one I experienced? My last question can the Ag and or the Ab disappear during the short period of ARS and that is why the test is negative? Dear Dr. Please give your total feedback and advice, as I am very worried that I might have passed the virus to her, so far I can handle it but I dont know if she will. Sorry being long. My very best regards

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Yes, I agree with the advice you received from your doctor. Your girlfriend's symptoms must have been caused by something other than HIV acute retroviral syndrome (ARS). Most likely she had the flu. Regarding your question about anti-HIV antibodies and p24 antigens, no, they do not disappear and then reappear.

Good luck to you both.

Dr. Bob

Previous
I am being a man, I am sorry for my past posts!! - Please answer me, i am on my knees!!
Next
re: kid testing

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.