Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

initial symptoms
Jan 13, 2009

Hi Dr

I sent a message back a few days ago (unprotected vaginal sex with a hiv positive person) but then realised you had been asked the same question before and you mentioned estimated odds of transmission of 5 in 10000, just a quick question i have been having symptoms since the day i got back from my possible exposure but around 8 weeks after -till now 4 months later i have had muscle twitches in my right hand, legs,calfs and both eyes , on most websites it doesn't mention these as usual symptoms for acute hiv but i noticed it is mentioned on others , can you clarify please . I have my test in the morning so am obviously more than a little worried

Thanks

ps: i would also like to thank this site has it has opened my eyes to what people with hiv have and are going through, and whatever the outcome of my test i will certainly be making a donation

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Fasciculations ("muscle twitches") are not commonly seen during HIV Acute Retroviral Syndrome (ARS). As I have mentioned frequently in this forum, "symptoms" are unreliable in predicting who is and is not HIV infected. If you've had an HIV-exposure risk, you need HIV testing at the three-month mark, whether or not you have symptoms.

Thanks for your kind comments and donation to the Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). Both are warmly appreciated. In return I'm sending you my good-luck karma that your HIV test results are negative.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Funtional Cure
Next
Precum slingshot???

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.