The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Eating a lot because depressed

Jan 7, 2009

I had a very scary exposure two and a half months ago. About a month ago I have begun eating very badly - Larger portions, soda, and junk food.

I am going in for my 3 month test in two weeks and am very worried that this drastic change in my diet will cause an inaccurate result. Obviously sugar content and other elements have changed in my blood.<----

I cannot find any information on this topic because I don't think there is anyway for doctors/researchers to determine if this can cause inaccurate results. Are you aware of any medical literature that has addressed this issue?

Please help me Dr. Frascino. I really want to put this behind me.

Response from Dr. Frascino


If a junk-food diet or being obese invalidated HIV tests, they would be essentially useless in the majority of locales in the U.S. (particularly the South, Midwest and Texas, which seem to have more than their fair share of hefty heffers roaming around). So, as long as you can still fit through the door of the testing center or your doctor's office, your HIV test results will still be accurate. Might I suggest a New Year's resolution to dump the triple-decker-extra-bacon cheeseburgers, Twinkies and supersized fires and chocolate milkshakes and to become reacquainted with things called fruits, vegetables and gym memberships?

Dr. Bob

I'm 13 but it isn't a lucky number... (BIG BEAR OR BUST PART DOS )
Thank you!!!

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint