The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Dr. Bob, You are the greatest!

Jan 7, 2009

Dr. Bob,

I recently donated to your site but I had a few more questions that I could not find the answers to by looking through the past post.

What is the percent chance of getting hiv if you are a male having vaginal sex with a female how is hiv positive if you currently have genetal herpes but are in the healing phase of the outbreak? By that I mean the scabs are barley noticeable and almost gone.

Thank you and another donation will be on the way soon!! :)

Response from Dr. Frascino


Be reasonable! We don't have statistical estimates for every single combination of variables (. . . "vaginal sex, HIV positive female, genital herpes, healing phase, barely noticeable scabs" etc.). The best I can offer is the estimated per-act risk for acquisition of HIV from unprotected insertive penile-vaginal sex with a partner confirmed to be HIV positive is 5 per 10,000 exposures. If you have an active STD, such as genital herpes, your HIV-transmission risk increases, but I can't give you an exact statistic as to how much. The bottom line is much more clear. If you placed yourself at risk for HIV by having unprotected sex, you need an HIV test at the three-month mark. Period. The rest is just mental masturbation! Stop overanalyzing and get your test at three months!

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

pregnancy (PREGNANCY)
I'm 13 but it isn't a lucky number... (BIG BEAR OR BUST PART DOS )

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint