testing

Hi Dr Bob, May I first congratulate you on you recent wedding and wish you a happy New Year x. I do not have a question sorry but want to give some encouragement to people worried about getting tested. I am a woman living in the uk with 4 children. Last year my daughter who was 6 at the time was diagnosed as being hiv+. She was only tested as all other avenues to find why she had a lump in her parotid gland were exhausted I was sure hiv was not the problem and agreed to the test, but no the damm virus caught me out and as a result my husband and I found that we were also positive and had been for 10+ years. Thankfully my daughter had good numbers when diagnosed and although my husband and i needed treatment we hadn't suffered any irreversible problems due to our delay in finding out (well you know what i mean!). Anyway my daughter developed hlh within about a month of being diagnosed and boxing day 2007 we were told she may not pull through, at this time hlh hadnt been diagnosed. She was in intensive care and her kidneys and liver were failing high temps, skin coming off, she also suffered anaphylaptic shock to the septrin and was ill for many months. She has now made a complete recovery from the hlh and is off her steroid treatment, she did have to start takink hiv meds as her cd4 dropped rapidly and viral load increased but has had no adverse reactions to them and now her vl is undetectable and cd4 is 580 !!!! So what I am trying to say is if we wouldnt have known about the hiv it would have been quite difficult to diagnose the hlh, and we would have lost her, no doubt. Also I was told that if I hasnt been diagnosed when i was I probablly would not have survived another 2 years and I was perfectly well, or so I thought. That test has so far saved 3 lives, one life twice. I never thought in a million years I had hiv and yet I had unprotected sex, so if you have had unprotected sex with even one person you are at risk so please dont put anyone else at risk. Take the test, there is medication available to give you a second shot at life, dont waste it!It can only give you a fighting chance. Thank you Dr Bob for taking my message to people who may be too afraid to take the test.

Thank you for taking the time to write in and share your story. You just may have saved someone's life! I applaud your courage and your positive attitude about being positive.

Good luck and good health to you and your family.

Quick exposure question
HIV transmission through torn skin