Fresh Blood

Dr Bob,

I know you will say that this is the question that never dies (as I have checked the archives) but I think this is a littl bit different.

I had a huge mosquito on my arm. I went to brush it away and upon doing it quite a large amount of blood smeared across my arm.

I am worried that I could get infected as 1: the blood was very fresh

2: At the time I was picking roses in a rose garden and had pricked myself on rose thorns on my arms and fingers.

I am very worried about this and would like to get tested. Would the window period be 3 months or 6 months as it was a blood exposure and the risk of HCV coinfection could extend the window period?

Please reply - I hope you dont see this as just another stupid mosquito question.

You are absolutely correct! I am indeed going to say this is a QTND (question that never dies), which has an ATNC (answer that never changes!). Mosquitoes do not transmit HIV. Period. Unless, of course, you find one big enough to have unsafe sex with. HIV and/or HCV testing is not warranted.

anemia effect on HIV antibody test
KS after 20 months.. please help