Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Spaghetti del Dr. Bob... maybe is time for a new Dr. Bob's recipe! :)
Jan 4, 2009

Ciao Dr. Bob,

It's again the Italian guy living in Paris who dedicated to you his favourite Spaghetti (tomato, ricotta, aubergine, basil, parmigiano)! ☺

I really would like to thank you! Since last year, when you helped me, not only I changed behaviour and sensibilized all my friends but also I take the time every week to come here and read how you doin', it makes me feel good knowing youre there!. I'm sending you my best vibes!

I'm writing you also because I'd love to have your support and opinion on something happened to me.

A month ago I was involved in petting with a girl, we didn't have any penetration since we forgot condoms, but still during mutual masturbation and mutual oral, there was some contact/grinding between the tip of my penis and her wet vagina. The next day I woke up and my glands looked a little bit red (maybe beacuse of the frottage). I didn't pay attention to that, since in my head that night was safe sex.

But then, 18 days after, I experienced a sudden fever (38.4 C) that progressively disappeared within 2 days, sore throat, headache, thrush, and after a few days I experienced persistent stipsi/diarrhea. My doc visited me the first day and told me it was a classic ryno/ pharyngitis/flu.

Suddenly I started panic, maybe because I know the ARS symptoms list I totally ruined my Christmas holidays and still I am in panic.

Im testing at 6 weeks but can you please help me once again with your words? I promise not only a donation but I guess that after a year you deserve a new recipe ☺

Grazie mille mio caro Dr. Bob e Buon Anno!!!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Buon Giorno Ragazzo,

Welcome back to the forum! I'm delighted you have taken charge of your life and consciously decided to remain safe and healthy.

The HIV-acquisition risk from the episode you describer is extremely low at best. Certainly any symptoms that appear the very next day after a potential exposure would not be related to HIV, as the symptoms associated with HIV acute retroviral syndrome (ARS) take two to three weeks to become manifest.

The flu-like symptoms you experienced 18 days later are most likely exact that, the flu! Symptoms are notoriously unreliable in predicting who is and is not HIV infected. Consequently I strongly advise you not panic about your "classic rhino/pharyngitis/flu." I'm quite confident your definitive three-month HIV-antibody test will be negative.

I should tell you that I wasn't sure what to cook for dinner this evening and after reading your question I decided to try your pasta recipe. BRAVO! It turned out great. I still plan on coming to your restaurant in Paris to try your version sometime soon. (I'm overdue for a trip to the City of Lights.)

Thanks again for your donation and your culinary tributes!

Ti auguro per il prossimo anno felicità e buona salute.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Came on my arm during a lap dance
Next
WIF wishing u happy new yr;

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.