Dr Bob, please answer, will donate

Hi Dr. Bob,

Hope you had a wonderful christmas and new years. this is the third time i am writing to you in as many weeks but i am not sure if you received my previous two attempts so i am going to try again. firstly, i really admire everything you do and keep such a positive attitude. I never have unprotected sex (even when i'm in a relationship), but a month ago, I was quite drunk and completely got caught up in the moment and did not wear a condom. It was with a lady i had met on the night, she was on a business trip. Didn't think much of it until two days later when i get a really upset stomach. From then on I started to worry and the stomach problems persisted (cramps, high acid). I understand that symptoms do not show up in 2-3 days but this stomach problem continued for the majority of the month. I went to the doctor and he did a blood and stool test - all normal. I wanted to ask you, are these stomach problems being caused by stress and my anxiety over my unpotected encounter or could it be a symptom of HIV?? I plan to get tested at the three month mark. I understand you might have answered this question below in your archives, I have looked, but I was hoping you could give me you personal response to my experience? Also, can you tell me if I can bank transfer a donation to you? Thank you. Matt

Hi Matt,

You are correct: HIV acute retroviral syndrome symptoms do not become manifest in two to three days, but rather tend to show up at two to three weeks after a sexual indiscretion. Could your stomach problem be stress related? Absolutely. Your doctor did at least a limited workup with blood tests and a stool analysis, both of which were unrevealing. Consequently your assumption that your symptoms might be related to anxiety/stress is, I believe, most likely correct.

As for my positive attitude about being positive, well, I just couldn't imagine being any other way. (See below.)

Regarding direct wire bank transfers to the Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation, yes, this can easily be arranged. The instructions are detailed on the foundation's Web site at www.concertedeffort.org. I'll also post the instructions below: To make a direct wire transfer, please follow these wiring instructions: Mellon Bank Pittsburgh, P.A. ABA # 043000261 Credit ML Account Number 101-1730 Further Credit to: Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation Account # 830-04C48 For international transfers add: Swift number MELN US 3P

Matt, thank you for your interest in making a donation to help others in desperate need. In return I'm sending you my good-luck karma that your definitive three-month test is negative.

Just Read it (Or not) Pt. 2 Oct 24, 2006

I am so sorry about what I wrote. Your right, I was not thinking about anybody but myself. You are a great man doing a great service. I am just an idiot who goes to some dark places and does not know when to shut up. Please accept my apology.

No apology needed, but graciously accepted nonetheless, OK? Dark places really don't have to be all that dark if you illuminate the space with kindness, generosity and compassion. Below are two of my favorite quotes. Try keeping them handy and reading them when those "dark places" begin creeping into what should be the joy of living, loving and helping others, OK?

Be well. Be happy.

"To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; to earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty; to find the best in others; to leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or redeemed social condition; to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived; this is to have succeeded." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one. The being a force of nature instead of a feverish, selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy . . . . Life is no brief candle for me. It is a sort of splendid torch which I have got hold of for the moment, and I want to make it burn as brightly as possible before handing it on to future generations." -- George Bernard Shaw

wohooohoo and thank you
PEP Forum