fever no other symptoms = hiv?

hi

i just want to say that by just reading around, i think you are doing great work, and i have read several comments about donations to your foundation.....i would like to donate if you would show me how (excuse my ignorance)

anyway, to my question i had a sorta risky encounter with another man about a month and a half ago (protected anal sex, condom broke towards the end for a 5 to 10 seconds), i was receiving

at first i wasn't worried because i had no symptoms except for a runny nose because of the weather here and there but last week, i developed an abrupt fever of around 102 that lasted about a day and half, it subsided on its own....i had no other symptoms besides being tired and no appetite, chills and such

at first, i wasn't worried, i just figured the flu because i had been out in the cold with less than adequate clothing a lot lately, but the more i thought about it, i thought.....if i had a fever and had no other symptoms...it means it's not a regular flu because the flu usually has symptoms like runny nose and such.......so i got more scared

i guess my question is...i understand the symptoms vary.....but the fever associated with primary hiv infection.....how long does it usually last and is it usually accompanied by other symptoms

should i be worried???? please help......i like can't focus on nothing else im constantly thinking about this all the time

Unprotected receptive anal sex (including broken condom sex) does place you at some degree of risk for STDs, including HIV. That and that alone is the reason for HIV testing and concern about HIV acquisition. Symptoms are notoriously unreliable in predicting who is and is not infected. You are absolutely correct that HIV acute retroviral syndrome (ARS) symptoms vary considerably in nature and severity from individual to individual. Some folks have such mild symptoms that they don't even notice them (i.e. essentially no symptoms!). Other folks get so sick they wind up in the hospital.

Although I do not suggest analyzing "symptoms," as they are so variable and unreliable, I will advise you that your isolated fever six weeks after a potential exposure is not worrisome for HIV ARS. Symptoms associated with HIV ARS generally present two to three weeks following HIV primary infection (not six weeks later) and are usually multiple (fever, swollen lymph nodes, rash, sore throat, muscle aches, etc.). See below.

Should you be worried? Yes, but not because of symptoms (or, in your case, "symptom"). You should be concerned, because you had brief unprotected receptive anal sex.

Donation information for the Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation can be found on the foundation's Web site at www.concertedeffort.org. Thank you for your interest in making a tax-deductible donation to help others in desperate need. In return I'm sending you my good-luck karma that your definitive three-month HIV-antibody test will be negative.

ARS Symptoms Nov 26, 2008

Dear Doc Bob,

My sincerest congratulations on your recent marriage. May your union be blessed & filled with happiness for many many years!

I can't help but look up to your noble efforts in advising perhaps tons of people. I've read through most of your advises & have learned a lot from you. Going straight to my query, you've advised a lot of worried folks that their symptoms are "not worrisome of acute retroviral syndrome (ARS)." I'd like to shoot the question: what exactly are symptoms which you will advise as "worrisome" of ARS? In case there are any historical posts answering this query, would you be kind enough to guide me & perhaps others who might have the same question in mind?

Many thanks & God bless us all!

-Worry Wart

Thanks for the congratulations and good wishes.

Regarding ARS symptoms, see below.

What exactly are the symptoms of ARS? Nov 15, 2005

Dr. Bob,

Hi there. I've been reading through many of the postings in this forum. Most of the people who write-in are labeled "worried wells" and you tell them that their symptoms are not consistent with the true symptoms of ARS.

I was wondering if you could share with us what you believe the true symptoms of ARS to be. I've found lots of websites describing them, but I want to hear it from a reputable and definitive source such as yourself.

Thanks a lot.

Sure, just check the archives. I've discussed this many times before. I'll repost below just one of the questions that addresses the signs and symptoms associated with primary HIV infection.

Stay well. Be informed, not worried, O.K.?

Me again! Aug 14, 2005

Hi DOc,

You responded to my initial question a few weeks back - thank you so much. You also responded to my partner who was recently diagnosed positive - that was so helpful. Incidentally, I think it was the first time he used a computer in his life - so you achieved more than I have with him there!

Anyway, sorry to bother you again - its now 8 / 9 weeks since my last exposure - I think I am imagining swollen glands all the time! Could you kindly answer two small questions. Firstly, how long after infection do people normally get ARS and symptoms? Secondly, what symmptoms are characteristic?

Thankyou for helping. My partner is being really strong - andw e will get through this together, I love that american term worry well - yes I am a british one of those, sorry!! xx

Hi Brit-Boy,

You're welcome!

Chances are you are indeed "imagining" swollen glands all the time. Regarding ARS, symptoms generally appear 1-3 weeks of contracting the virus. Sometimes symptoms may not appear until 4-6 weeks. It is called a syndrome (Acute Retroviral Syndrome), because it is a collection of symptoms that can be extremely variable form person to person. In fact, symptoms alone are notoriously unreliable in predicting HIV infection. It is estimated that 40-90% of acutely infected folks will have some ARS symptoms. But to specifically answer your question, the following is a list of symptoms associated with ARS and the percentage of time the symptoms are present:

Fever 96%

Adenopathy 74%

Pharyngitis 70%

Rash 70%

Myalgias 54%

Headache 32%

Diarrhea 32%

Nausea or vomiting 27%

Hepatosplenomegaly 14%

Thrush 12%

Neurologic symptoms 12%

The duration of symptoms is generally 1-3 weeks.

Regarding your lover's use of the computer, now that he's discovered the wonders of Internet look out!!!! He just may get so hooked that the only way you'll be able to converse with him is via IM-ing!

Good luck!

Am i at Risk?.Donation info needed
Thank You So Much!